STUDENTS IN CHARGE
GOAL & METHOD
GOAL#1 : LEARNERS AUTONOMY AND SELF-DETERMINATION
Method#1: motivate learners to be in charge of their own learning
Advised Age Group
ALL SUBJECTS; better at the beginning of a new school year with a new class
Learning/teaching plan of the school year
Set up a decision process
Start with a new class-group by establishing a debate about how the following course is going to be; discuss both the contents of the course and the teaching methods. Through the discussion, the learners and you give their own opinions and preferences.
● For contents, explain the learning goals of the term and/or year. If necessary, hand learners
a list of topics to stimulate the discussion and their decision.
● For methods, give a brief explanation of the alternatives they have by providing examples
and by suggesting what each method suits best for.
Check participation and agreement
The objective of the discussion is to build up a proper environment where all the learning actors of
the classroom, learners and you, fit in. This happens when they all agree upon contents and methods
and they all participate in the decision process.
● The selection of topics and methods can be done also by steps: first individually, then in
groups and finally among all the learners.
Ask for feedback at the end of the term or year
● In collecting feedback it is important to remind and highlight that all have taken part in the educational process, by choosing how they would like to have been taught or treated and what topics they would like to have worked on.
● learners always retain the possibility to express what they enjoyed the most and what they would change for the next year as well.
Teachers report positive results year by year, being most of the learners really happy to choose the activities or methods used in class, especially when more informal options, e.g. those related with games or different from ordinary teaching practices, are proposed.